Home > Gemini's Blog > Valentine's Day advice to keep pets safe

Valentine's Day advice to keep pets safe

Posted by SusanStokes on February 15, 2018

It's Valentine's Day and a time to share the Love! For many of us that includes our human friends and family as well as our animal friends and family members. But what's good for humans does not always translate well for our pets. The flowers and chocolate candy that bring us humans so much joy spell trouble for our pets.  Here's why:

Let's start with the flowers. If you are giving flowers as a Valentine's Day gift to another cat owner, or if you are accepting or bringing Valentine's Day flowers into your home, PLEASE inspect them for Lilies. A lily can be deadly to a cat. As you can see from the photos below, a lily in full bloom and lilies still budding have been incorporated into these flower arrangements available in the stores today! Out of all the plants that are toxic to your cat, lilies are the most dangerous! When a cat chews any piece of any type of lily, the toxins immediately have an adverse effect on his/her kidneys. Continue reading below about lily toxicity and your cat, and take appropriate steps if you believe your cat ingested any part of a lily plant because it is an emergency situation.

Valentine flowers with Lily two  Valentine Flowers with Lily one.jpg

Then there's the Valentine's Day chocolate. Pet Poison Helpline explains that while the occasional chocolate chip may not be an issue for dogs or cats, there are certain types of chocolate more toxic than others. They say the less sweet and the darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is to your dog or cat. Baker’s chocolate, dark chocolate, and cocoa powder pose the biggest risk.

Chocolate poisoning is due to a class of chemicals called methylxanthines which include theobromine and caffeine. Common signs of poisoning, especially in dogs, include vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, increased thirst, an abnormal heart rhythm, seizures, and even death. Pet Poison Helpline reports that dogs make up 95% of all calls about chocolate poisoning. Even the chocolate candy wrappers pose problems for dogs - if they choose to eat the wrappers, the danger becomes an obstruction in the stomach or intestines. Thankfully, cats typically discriminate and don't eat it.

We sincerely want you and your pets to enjoy Valentine's Day. With a little precaution, you will.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Susan, Taurus and Gemini


Recommended Reading:

Lily toxicity and your cat

I found love at the Super Pet Expo